We have bought a couple of different rain water diverters. But, they block up easily if leaves get in them and also don’t cope with heavy rain – quite a lot of water then overflows back into the stormwater. I could add a leaf excluder, but they are about $50 each. The diverter seem a lot more complicated than they need to be – partly because they try to put excess water back into the storm water.
So I decided to try making one that combines a diverter with leaf. I want to divert all the water – I’ll change this if the garden ever gets too wet.
Here is my first try:
An empty liquid fertilizer bottle, a small piece of gutter protector, a grey water hose and some silver tape. Cost – almost nothing.
I made one mistake in that I cut right through the downpipe and then found that it was better to have it flattened so it supports the top part of the downpipe (there isn’t a bracket above the cut off bit of downpipe to hold it up).
I think that the hose I’ve used to take away the water may not be large enough – if the bottle overflows, I’ll just have to get a larger hose and cut some of the neck of the bottle away so it fits.
We have a thunderstorm here now – so it is being tested. In very heavy rain the hose is too small to take away the water. I also need to attach the gutter guard better – it has come off. Once the rain eased back to a more normal level the smaller hose was sufficient.